Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Well Hi! My name is Fin! And I work in a Button Factory!

Ok... I really don't work in a button factory...

Hi there! My name is Rachel, but I’d rather be known as Fin. I am 22 years old, and I live in the Midwest. I am a junior through the University of Phoenix and I am pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Psychology. I live with my self-diagnosed narcissistic father at home. I work at a cute souvenir shop and, for the summer, I work at a barbeque restaurant. I also babysit in my spare time. I have a wonderful boyfriend (who is also my VERY best friend!) and his family has adopted me as another one of the kids. I also have great friends that I enjoy spending time with.

I am also a Christian. I’ve been going to church since I was eight, but in the last year or so I’ve really been exploring where I stand in the realm of Christianity. I attended an ELCA church for many years, but in the light of all the controversy going on, I wanted to find something different. Also, I live in a town with a very small 20-something population, so I recently started attending church with my boyfriend. It’s a wonderful place with a motto of ‘Come as You Are’. I wish I could say I read the bible avidly, but I maybe only pick it up once a week. Besides accepting the fact Christ died on the cross for me and for all mankind, I believe my role is to be as Christ-like as possible. I know I’m a sinner, but I try my darned best to love, accept, and be a good person. I personally enjoy the books of Matthew and Romans the best, for I feel they give some of the best direction in how we are supposed to behave as good Christians.

I love music and take voice lessons once a week. I guess I don’t exactly know what section I sing, in middle school it was Soprano I, in high school it was Alto 1, in college (my first year and a half) it was Alto II, my first voice teacher a few summers ago said I was Soprano II, and now my current teacher says I go into head voice in the Soprano range. I like to take that as a compliment in that I have a wide range! I also dabble in the piano, but I’m very much a left-brained person and it’s very technical and concrete for me. I’d give my left arm to be able to create my own music, but because I can’t I try my best to appreciate the music that other people create.

Reading is another hobby I’m extremely passionate about. Mostly you fill find romantic filled fiction (Nicholas Sparks and LaVyrle Spencer are a few of my favorite authors!) and self help books in my bookshelf. I also follow at least over twenty blogs, varying between mommy blogs, blogs about children with illnesses, Christian blogs, and photography blogs. I’ve been reading since I was five, and I haven’t stopped since! I used to get in trouble in school because I’d read during classes instead of listening to my teachers. Oops!

An activity I’m picking up this year is storm spotting! Weather has always been something I’ve been passionate about since I was really young, and an activity I’ve wanted to try for years. My boyfriend has been spotting for a number of years now and is taking me along for the ride. This year I’m going to go along with him so he can show me the ropes. But I’ve just started to look at the material to get my radio license so next year I can do it on my own. I’m VERY excited for this!

I also enjoy writing (obviously enough to start a blog. AGAIN!). Enough of my friends, family, and teachers and told me it’s a strength of mine, and I think I believe it myself now. I believe writing about my experiences is probably my biggest strength, but I enjoy writing poetry and fiction as well. I’ll try to throw a little of both into the blog, so I can practice them. I also will throw in some advice, and some reviews of movies, music, books, and travel opportunities. Since I don’t have any significant hobbies, I have to write about something significant!

Other hobbies that aren’t so significant include: Cartoons, rollerblading, biking, walking, sleeping, baking, going to amusement parks, and other things that obviously aren’t coming to mind at the moment. You’ll find out, I’m sure. I love trying new things and I try to be open to new experiences.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog. I will warn you now that posting frequently can and WILL be one of my weaknesses, but I will try very hard to combat that.

Fin

3 comments:

  1. Visiting from Blogfrog! I'll look forward to following you on your bloggin' journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came over from blog frog to check out your blog, and I like it! We have a little in common with religion. I've been going to church my whole life but just recently slipped away and I'm trying to find my own place in religion. Also, I love being outdoors and rollerblading, biking and walking are things I like doing. I'll for sure come back to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! It's nice to have new blogs to follow as well :) I hope I can get to know you all a little better along the journey!

    ReplyDelete